What is Federal Work-Study?

The Federal Work Study (FWS) program is a need based federally funded program available to students. In order to participate in the FWS program, students must (1) receive a FWS allocation as part of their financial aid package; (2) be enrolled at least half time (6 credits) or have been accepted for such enrollment; and (3) maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress. FWS employment may be offered to student employees in several ways: on campus, off campus, and or through Public Service Corp (PSC). Federal guidelines prohibit students from working during scheduled class periods. Work hours must be arranged in a way that it does not conflict with class hours. Typical jobs include clerical work; providing overall assistance to departments such as the library, computer labs, tutoring and child care center.

*To apply for a Federal Work Study award, students must fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and answer “yes” to question 31, “Are you interested in being considered for work study?”