Are You a New Student?

Dear Entering Student:

Welcome to Hostos Community College Financial Aid website.  In order to make your transition to higher education as smooth as possible, you will have to follow a number of procedures.

If you are relying on financial aid to cover your cost of education, you should file early, attend our orientations, and adhere to the guidelines specified in our financial aid literature and bulletins.  If you have not filled out the FAFSA and TAP applications, you may do so by going to We provide assistance at our “Micro-lab”, located in the lower level of the Savoy Manor Building (D-Building), 120 East 149th street, room B102.  

To complete your financial aid application, you will need the following information and documents that apply to you, your spouse (if you are married), and/or your parents (if you are classified as a dependent according to federal regulations):

  • PIN number (
  • Social Security numbers
  • Date of birth
  • Date when married/separated/divorced/widowed
  • 2013 Federal tax forms (1040/1040A/1040EZPDF) & W2 formsPDF
  • 2013 New York State tax forms (IT-201PDF) for NY state tax filers
  • 2013 income from:
    -Self-employment (If income = at least $10,000, tax filing is required),
    -Amount given to parent from other person (such as a relative) for living and
     personal expenses
    -Financial support received from non-custodial parent such as child support and
     personal expenses\Unemployment income
  • 2013 untaxed income, such as Social Security benefits, SNAP Benefits, Temporary Assistance for Needy Family (TANF), Veterans benefits
  • Information on Recent Savings & Checking accounts, Investments, Business and Farm assets

Approximately 1 - 2 weeks after applying your online application, make sure you check the status by logging on to your “CUNYfirst” account or visiting the Financial Aid office to see if there are any further steps required.

NOTE: YOU DO NOT NEED TO HAVE CLASSES REGISTERED TO APPLY FOR FINANCIAL AID.  We recommend that you complete your Financial Aid application as early as possible to avoid delays and give yourself time to resolve any unexpected issues.  In the event that you filed late and/or have complications with your financial aid applications, you may be required to pay your tuition out of pocket or set up a payment plan. For tuition rates, contact the Bursar department.

We recommend that you visit our website at Our website is periodically updated and contains useful information including “How do I know if I am an Independent student, How can I view my awards online”, etc.  In addition, visit the Financial Aid TV (FATV) section of our website which contains short videos on all Financial Aid topics.  

If you have any questions, feel free to contact our office at (718) 518-6555 or e-mail us at  We wish you good luck in your educational endeavors.

Yours truly,

The Office of Financial Aid