Permits to Attend Another CUNY College

Students are responsible for securing a bulletin from the prospective host college and fulfilling whatever requirements it may establish for attendance. Students who wish to take courses at another CUNY college while attending Hostos must follow the procedures listed below (students are limited to the maximum number of credits allowable at the home college):

  1. Must have a GPA of 2.0.

  2. Obtain the permit from the Registrar's Office at Hostos.

  3. Complete the permit with all appropriate information.

  4. Secure chairperson's signature.

  5. Register for the permit in the Registrar's Office.

  6. Pay full tuition and fees to the Bursar. The Bursar validates the permit.

  7. Take the validated permit to the Registrar. The Registrar sings and places the College seal on the permit.

  8. Take the Hostos permit and the Bursar's receipts to the Registration at the other unit of CUNY.

  9. If the student is unable to register at the host college, it is the student's responsibility to inform the Registrar's Office. (A written letter is needed from the host college.)

  10. Request the other CUNY unit to forward an official transcript to the Hostos Registrar's Office at the end of the semester.

Note: Each department has its own requirements regarding permit credit. Please confer with the department before registering as a permit student at another CUNY college.

Under no circumstances shall more than 30 earned credits granted from another institution be applied toward graduation from Hostos; this includes advanced standing credits.

Permits to take courses at Hostos: Students from Other Units of CUNY

Students from other CUNY colleges who wish to take courses at Hostos should do the following:

  • Follow steps 1-6 (above) at their home college.

  • Come to registration at Hostos with a validated permit and Bursar's receipt and follow the regular registration procedure.

  • Students may register for courses on a space-available basis.

  • At the end of the semester, request that an official transcript be forwarded to your home college.

Note: Those students receiving TAP must bring a letter from the college in which they have enrolled showing the exact number of credits for which they have registered. This letter must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar during the fifth week of the semester.

Permits to take courses at Hostos: Students from Non-CUNY Colleges/Institutions

Students from institutions other than CUNY must apply for Non-Degree Status at the Admissions Office prior to registration. Students may register for courses on a space-available basis.

Procedures For Filing A Permit Request To Take A Course At A Non-CUNY College

  1. Obtain a non-CUNY permit form through your Home College Registrar's Office.

  2. To be eligible for a Permit, you must:

    1. Be matriculated and currently in attendance at the Home College.

    2. Be in good standing - not academically dismissed.

    3. Have all required immunizations at the Home College completed.

  3. Take the Permit Form to the appropriate department chairperson or faculty advisor for approval and signature (Academic Approval).

    1. Inform the department which course(s) you wish to take at the Host College.

    2. The chairperson or faculty advisor will determine if the course(s) is equivalent to a course(s) offered at Home College. (This process may be quicker if you bring a catalog from the Host College.)

  4. Registrar Processing

    1. After academic approval, the Permit Form must be brought to the Registrar's Office at the Home College.

    2. The Home College Registrar will affix its official seal or authorizing stamp. You should take the Permit Form with you when you register at the Host College.

    3. When the course(s) is completed, the student should contact the Host College Registrar's Office to ensure that his/her grade is transferred to the Home College Registrar's Office. While the grade for a course taken outside of CUNY will not be posted to a student's record and will not count in the computation of a student's GPA, credit for the course cannot be given until the grade is received by the Home College Registrar.

  5. Financial Aid Approval - You must obtain the approval of a financial aid counselor who will indicate whether the non-CUNY coursework is eligible for financial aid.

  6. Tuition Payment - If you are going to take a permit course at a private or state college (non-CUNY), you will pay tuition for that course there. Be sure to bring the Non-CUNY Permit Form with you.

  7. There may be a limit to the number of permit credits allowed by your Home College. Please check the Home College catalog.

  8. Permits will not be issued to the following:

    1. Non-degree student.

    2. A readmitted matriculated student who is not currently enrolled or who does not need the permit courses for graduation.

    3. An incoming newly matriculated student who requests a permit for the semester or summer session preceding his/her effective date of admission.