Ask a Librarian at the E-Reference Desk: Frequently Asked Questions
- Who can use E-Reference?
- When will I receive a response to my question?
- What is e-reference for?
- What kinds of questions can I ask?
- I need the answer to a factual question, like a birth date, statistic, or date of historical significance. Can Ask a Librarian tell me the answer?
- Puedo hacer una pregunta en espanol?
- I submitted a question to Ask a Librarian and have not received a response. Why did this occur?
- Where can I find the HCC library hours?
- How can I access the databases from a home computer?
- Can I request that the library purchase a book I am looking for?
The service is provided only for Hostos students, faculty, and staff.
When will I receive a response to my question?
A librarian will reply to your reference question within 24 hours. If you send an inquiry on a weekend, the expected response time is 36-48 hours. If you need help immediately, call the Reference Desk at (718)-4215 or visit us in person during library hours.
What is e-reference for?
- Correspond via email if writing helps you to organize your thoughts
- Get assistance with library tools or online information from off- campus
- Ask the kinds of questions listed below, anytime
- Wherever you are in your research process, librarians can assist you.
- Help define your research topic
- How and where to begin your research
- Point to which databases to use for your research
- Tips on searching specific databases
- Check Hostos library holdings
- Verify a citation
- Explain library services and policies
I need the answer to a factual question, like a birth date, statistic, or date of historical significance.
Can Ask a Librarian tell me the answer?
Ask a Librarian will suggest sources where you can locate your answers. Your involvement will contribute to your knowledge of your topic and research in general.
Puedo hacer una pregunta en espanol?
Si, un bibliotecario va responderá a su pregunta entre 24-36 horas.
I submitted a question to Ask a Librarian and have not received a response. Why did this occur?
Occasionally, email does not reach its destination. If you submit an inquiry and do not receive a response, please resend your question. Proofread your email address to ensure that we have an accurate address to contact you.
Where can I find are the HCC library hours?
You can find the library hours on our webpage. Feel free to ask us questions about library policies in e-reference.
How can I access the databases from a home computer?
Click here for instructions. You must have your library barcode activated each semester BEFORE you can access these databases from a remote location off campus. Visit (in person) the Circulation Desk during Library hours to have your barcode activated.Click here for a list of our databases.
* Hostos College Librarians are happy to provide further instruction or help you develop online search methods and strategies.
Can I request that the library purchase a book I am looking for?
The Hostos Community College Library welcomes suggestions for the acquisition of materials which support the College’s teaching and research programs. The Library’s subject specialists review all suggestions before careful consideration will be given to your request. To request a purchase, click here.