Copying and Printing
Printing and copying services are funded by the CUNY Student Technology Fee with the support of the Office of Administration and Finance. The printing/copying system functions by way of Pharos Systems software and Lexmark MultiFunction Printers (Lexmark MultiFunction Printers have both copying and printing capabilities.)
Printing and copying services are available in the reserve area of the library on the 3rd floor and in the reference area on the 2nd floor of the library. Click here for detailed instructions on using specific printers & copy machines.
- Hostos students MUST have their usernames and passwords in order to print or copy.
- How to Get a Username and Password -Hostos email account usernames and passwords must be used for the printing/copying system in the Library. No other usernames or passwords will work. Hostos students who do not know their username and password should click here. Read this tutorial for help using your Hostos Email Account.
- Register Username and Password – Once the username and password are obtained, please register the account by using the Self-Service Password Management (SSPM) system. Click here for more information on SSPM.
- Forgotten/Non-Functioning Passwords - If a password is forgotten or is not functioning, please come to either the Reserve Desk (A-308F) or Circulation Desk (A-308B) for assistance. Both desks are located on the 3rd floor of the Library.
How to Get a Copy Card – Copy cards are free and can only be obtained from the Reserve Desk (A-308F) located on the 3rd floor of the Library. Copy cards can also be used for printing.
- Hostos Students - must show a currently validated Hostos ID card and provide their username. (NO EXCEPTIONS!)
- Hostos Faculty and Staff – must show a currently validated Hostos ID card.
- CUNY Students, Faculty, and Staff – must show a currently validated ID card from their institution.
- Other Users without a Hostos User ID and password – must show an ID card that is accepted by the Office of Public Safety.
- Lost a Copy Card – Only one (1) copy card will be issued to each patron per semester. If a patron loses his/her card, they should report it immediately to a staff member at the Reserve Desk (A-308F). Once reported, the card will be made inactive to eliminate the possibility of unauthorized usage. The patron must use their username/password for the rest of the term. A new card will be issued to the patron the following term. See “Copy Card” for more information.
- Replacement of Copy Card – Copy card replacements will only be given in the next academic semester/term.
Only registered Hostos students receive a $25.00 allotment for printing and copying each academic semester. A $10.00 allotment will be given each summer academic term.
When allotments have been completely used, Hostos students may add money to their accounts by using their copy card and the Virtual Cash Acceptor machine in the Reserve Room (A-308F) located on the 3rd floor.
Unused allotments DO NOT rollover to the next semester or term. Hostos students CAN NOT cash in unused allotments.
|Material Type||Hostos Students||NON-Hostos Students*|
|Copy Card||NO CHARGE||NO CHARGE|
|Letter Copies (8.5 x 11)||$.10/page||$.10/page|
|Legal Copies (8.5 x 14)||$.15/page||$.15/page|
|Double-Sided Letter Copies (8.5 x 11)||$.20/copy||$.20/copy|
|Double-Sided Legal Copies (8.5. x 14)||$.30/copy||$.30/copy|
|Coin-Operated Copies-- Letter and Legal||$.10/page||$.10/page|
*NON-Hostos students includes Hostos faculty/staff, CUNY students/faculty/staff, and outside users.
Adding Money to Accounts
To add money to printing/copying accounts, go to the Virtual Cash Acceptor machine located to the left of the Reserve Desk (A-308F) on the 3rd floor of the Library. Adding Money to Accounts, cont.
- Hold the copy card with the white side facing left and the barcode strip facing right.
- Make sure that the barcode strip is at the top of the card.
- Insert and remove the copy card quickly.
- The patron should wait for their username and current balance to appear in the display window located at the top right side of the Virtual Cash Acceptor machine.
- The Virtual Cash Acceptor machine will accept $1, $5, $10, and $20 bills.
- The Virtual Cash Acceptor machine will not accept coins and does not give change.
- The Library and its staff members do not provide change or handle currency.
- The patron can insert the preferred amount of money in the "Insert Cash" slot located at the lower right side of the Virtual Cash Acceptor machine.
- The added amount will appear in the display window.
- When finished, press the "#ENT" button at the bottom of the keypad.
Where to Get Help
- For help with copy machines, copy cards, Virtual Cash Acceptor machine, microform copies, please go to the Reserve Desk (A-308F) on the 3rd floor.
- For help with usernames and passwords, please go the Reserve Desk (A-308F) or the Circulation Desk (A-308B) on the 3rd floor.
- For help with computer workstations and printing machines, please go the Reference Desk (A-213K) on the 2nd floor.
Hostos Copyright Policy Notice(s)Warning concerning copyright restrictions
- The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material.
- Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement.
- This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of Copyright Law.