Hostos Community College Library provides reserves in order to support instructional requirements for specific courses. Requests to place materials on reserve can only be made by teaching faculty. The materials may be owned by the Hostos library or be personal copies owned by the faculty member making the request. Usually, reserve materials are high-use items; therefore, to accommodate demand they are subject to shorter loan periods than regular items. Unless Reserve staff members are instructed by the faculty member making the request, reserve materials can not, under any circumstances, be taken outside of the library and will not be loaned overnight.
Who May BorrowAnyone with a currently validated CUNY ID card is permitted to use reserve materials. For Hostos students, the ID card must have the current semester sticker in order to be considered valid. (No Exceptions!)
How to Borrow
- A currently validated CUNY ID is required to check out reserve materials.
- Reserve materials may only be checked out from the Reserve Desk (A-308F) on the 3rd floor of the Library.
- Provide the Reserve staff member with the title and/or call number for the reserve item(s). If the patron does not have this information, please search CUNY+ or see a Reference Librarian for assistance in the Reference room (A-213K) on the 2nd floor of the Library.
- The Reserve staff member will locate the item(s).
- If available, the staff member will take the validated ID card and charge the item(s) to the patron for a two (2) hour period.
- The ID card and the item will be given to the patron.
- The patron will be told the time at which the items must be returned.
Reserve materials are available for use within the Library for 2 hours only. Reserve materials are available on a first-come, first-served basis. All reserve materials are due back at least 15 minutes before the Library closes. The lending of reserve materials will stop one-half hour before the Library closes. All reserve items must be returned by the time indicated.
Unless Reserve staff members are instructed by the faculty member making the request, reserve materials can not, under any circumstances, be taken outside of the library and will not be loaned overnight.
Reserve materials may only be returned to a Reserve staff member at the Reserve Desk. Do not leave reserve items on the Reserve Desk or on any other library service desk. Patrons will be held responsible for reserve items that are not properly returned. If the Reserve Desk is closed then reserve materials can be returned to the Circulation Desk (A-308B).
Reserve items may be renewed 1 time, unless another patron has requested it.
- $1.20/per hour, and any part thereof to a maximum of $25.00, will be charged for late returns.
- There is no grace period.
- Unpaid overdue fines of $5.00 or more will result in the loss of borrowing privileges throughout the entire CUNY library system.
- Serious delinquencies may be reported to the faculty member who placed the materials on reserve and may result in the withholding of grades and Hostos’ degrees.
- All fines must be paid at the Bursar’s Office, Savoy Building, D-B105-1.
- All fines are in accordance with the policies articulated by the Board of Trustees, Tuition and Fee Manual.
Lost Replacement Charges:
If a reserve item is lost, the standard replacement cost is the current price of the item and a processing fee of $10.00. If the item is out-of-print, a flat fee of $25.00 will be charged.
In the event that a lost reserve item is found and returned, the borrower is entitled to be reimbursed for the cost of the item. Processing fees will not be refunded.
All damaged items will be examined by the Head of Technical Services, who will determine the nature and extent of damage. If a damaged item can be repaired the total fine will include the cost of its repair, as determined by the Head of Technical Services, plus a processing fee of $10.00.
If a damaged item can not be repaired, it will be subject to standard replacement charges which are the current price of the item and a processing fee of $10.00. If the item is out-of-print, a flat fee of $25.00 will be charged.
Hostos Copyright NoticeWarning concerning copyright restrictions
- The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material.
- Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research. If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of fair use, that user may be liable for copyright infringement.
- This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of Copyright Law.