Hostos Community College is committed to ensuring the health and welfare of its entire community. We urge you to take the following actions to protect yourself and others from influenza (the flu). Please be assured that Hostos’ will provide you with the latest information on this upcoming Flu season as if comes available.
Hand sanitizers are located by all elevators, the cafeteria, theaters, fitness areas, computer labs and other large gathering spaces. Additionally, you can pick up a brochure entitled “Cover your Cough” - preventing infection through effective personal hygiene at the Health Services Office or any Public Safety desk. Posters will be placed in common areas as a reminder that hygiene is the most effective way to stay healthy. Below are some tips.
What you can do to stay healthy:
- Get vaccinated (please visit http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/html/imm/immclin.shtml for a list of clinics)
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
- Wash your hands with soap and water for 20 seconds, especially after you cough or sneeze. Use Alcohol-based hands cleaners only if no washing facilities are available. Young children and infants should only use non-alcohol based cleaners.
- To prevent the spread of infection, avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth.
Try to avoid close contact with sick people:
- Influenza is thought to spread mainly person-to-person when infected individuals cough or sneeze.
- If you get sick, seek medical attention. Additionally, the NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene and the Center for Disease Control recommend limiting contact with others to keep from infecting them (social isolation).
Seek medical attention if you have the following symptoms:
Fever (usually high)
Runny or stuffy nose
Stomach symptoms, such as nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea, also can occur but are more common in children than adults
For more information please visit the following websites:
NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene – http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/flu/html/public/general.shtml
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) - http://www.cdc.gov/flu/
Flu.gov – http://www.flu.gov/
CUNY Flu website – http://www.cuny.edu/about/administration/offices/ehsrm/flu.html
CUNY Student Flu website – http://www.cuny.edu/about/administration/offices/sa/services/student-health/Influenza.html
Flu Health Advisory - Printable Version
Back to Previous Page