Dr. Paula L. Zajan
Dr. Paula L. Zajan, professor and founder of the Early Childhood Education Program, died in June 1988 after a courageous battle with cancer.
Dr. Zajan a was dedicated teacher. She imparted her love of learning and teaching to students and left a bequest to the College to start a scholarship in her name.
Dr. Zajan loved life and people. She saw beauty in individuals from many walks of life. She loved to bake and especially enjoyed attending musical events. She devoted much time, energy, and love the Early Childhood Education Program and to Hostos Community College.
Because of her contributions, as many individuals live richer lives. Her magnificent spirit continues in the legacy she left behind.
Awards be provided to selected students who meet the following criteria:
- Be a graduating student that with a cumulative index of 3.5, have taken a minimum of 12 credits in Education courses, and are pursuing a career in education at a senior college;
- Be a returning student who due to family and/or financial reasons has not returned or is at-risk of not returning to the college and has the academic ability, character and potential for success in the field of education;
- In-coming students that are being admitted to the Teacher Education program and have the academic ability, character and potential for success in the field of education.
- Any student selected should have outstanding character in the judgment of the faculty and submit a completed application.
Applicants must do the following:
- Complete an application form.
- Attach a transcript to the application form.
- Prepare a typed one-page statement indicating your educational and professional goals and how the scholarship would help you. Sign and date the statement.
- Request two letters of recommendation from faculty members to be sent directly to Professor Christine Mangino.
- Return application, transcript, and typed personal statement to Prof. Christine Mangino or Ms. Luz Rivera in the Teacher Education Program during the month of December for Fall graduates and by April for Spring graduates.
Distribution Of Award
The students selected by the Committee for Awards have to meet the above criterion and are recommended by the Committee as follows:
- Graduate Student Criteria of the Teacher Education program who is continuing in an education program at an institution of higher education and will receive a scholarship of $1,000 upon successful enrollment and demonstrated continued academic progress;
- Returning Education Student Criteria the students who have been enrolled in the program, had been working hard to complete their degree but have encountered financial and/or family difficulties that limit their enrollment this coming year in our program. These students will be assigned assistantships with the Chairperson of the Department to insure monitoring of their academic progress and provide them with an experiential environment that will enable them to acquire additional skills in preparation for success in the field of education. Funds will be allowed to cover tuition, fees, and books, childcare and other directly related expenses upon enrollment and demonstrated continued academic progress.
For More Information:
Contact: Professor Jacqueline Disanto
Department: Education Department
Telephone: (718) 518-4156
E-mail address: email@example.com