Office of Institutional Research (OIR)
Analyses & Reports Graduation Profile
Graduation Information and Follow-Up of Hostos Graduates
The following information is being provided by Hostos Community College, in part pursuant to the requirements of the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008.
Hostos Graduation Information:
Each of the annual graduation reports includes information on the number of graduates, the programs from which they graduated, and demographic data about the graduates.
Follow-Up of Hostos Graduates:
Every other year, the CUNY Office of Institutional Research and Analysis (OIRA) conducts a follow-up study of all students who have graduated from a CUNY college. The results, in the table below, are based on students who graduated from Hostos Community College (and all other CUNY colleges) during the 2007-08 academic year.
The major points of the follow-up study show that six months after graduation:
- Only 16.5 percent of Hostos Community College graduates are not currently employed, compared to 27.1 percent for all community colleges and 26.0 percent CUNY-wide.
- Just under 60 percent of Hostos graduates are continuing their education or training, a lower percentage than the community colleges as a group or all CUNY colleges.
- Almost all of the graduates have jobs in New York City.
- Almost half (49.0 percent) of the graduates were employed in jobs that required the specific certificate or associates degree they received at Hostos.
- Just over two-thirds of the graduates (67.8 percent) were either “Very satisfied” or “Somewhat satisfied” with their current job.
- Again, just over two-thirds of the graduates (67.7 percent) felt that Hostos Community College prepared them either “Very well” or “Well” for their current job.
- Over three-fourths of the graduates (76.9 percent) said they would choose to go to Hostos Community College again, if they had the choice.
- Over two-thirds of the graduates (70.5 percent) said they would choose the same program again, if they had the choice.
Responses to Selected Questions
|Selected Questions||Hostos Community College||CUNY Community Colleges||All CUNY Colleges|
Employment status six months after completing
certificate or associate degree:
|Employed in job directly related to my program of study||32.2||25.0||26.8|
|Employed in job slightly related to my program of study||20.9||16.6||16.3|
|Employed in job not related to my program of study||29.6||31.0||30.8|
|Entered the military||0.9||0.2||0.2|
|Unemployed but not seeking employment||3.5||12.4||11.5|
|Unemployed and seeking employment||13.0||14.7||14.5|
|Employed full or part time:|
|Employed full time (35 or more hours per week)||52.5||64.2||63.7|
|Employed part time (less than 35 hours per week)||47.5||35.8||36.3|
|Pursued additional education or training after graduation:|
|Looked for a job related to my program of study:|
|Both responses allowed:|
|Yes, before graduation||8.5||9.4||9.8|
|No, after graduation||14.0||12.4||12.4|
|Began working at job:|
|Before enrolling at CUNY||27.0||25.8||25.5|
|While enrolled at CUNY||44.0||41.4||40.5|
|After graduating from CUNY||29.0||32.8||34.0|
|Less than $20,000||47.4||37.4||36.5|
|Less than $30,000||69.1||59.6||57.3|
|Less than $40,000||79.4||74.4||72.2|
|Less than $50,000||90.7||83.1||80.7|
|Type of organization:|
|Private business, company, or organization||55.0||57.7||55.6|
|Private non-profit organization||13.0||13.4||13.3|
|Location of Job:|
|In one of NYC's five boroughs||95.0||91.1||92.0|
|Outside of NYC||5.0||8.9||8.0|
|Educational requirements of my job:|
|Certificate in specific program or major||16.7||8.6||8.1|
|Certificate, no specific program or major||4.2||3.4||3.4|
|Associate degree in specific program or major||32.3||29.3||30.3|
|Associate degree, no specific program or major||11.5||9.1||8.5|
|Baccalaureate degree in specific program or major||2.1||6.0||7.0|
|Baccalaureate degree, no specific program or major||0.0||2.1||2.7|
|No degree or certificate was required||33.3||41.5||40.1|
|Satisfaction with current job:|
|Neither satisfied nor dissatisfied||19.8||20.6||20.6|
|How well did your CUNY education prepare you for this job?|
|I would choose to go to this college again|
|I would choose the program from which I graduated|
Note: All data are from the 2007-08 "Survey of Graduates" conducted by the CUNY Office of Institutional Research and Assessment. All questions are based on the graduate's status six months following receipt of degree
- Analyses & Reports Graduation Profile
- Graduation Profile