Any course offered at Hostos Community College might feature some online components, so students who are unfamiliar with the CUNY portal, the College's computer systems, or the Blackboard environment should register consider registering for free instructional technology workshops. There are also some courses that are designed for expert students who require the flexibility of participating either entirely or partially outside the traditional classroomFully Online or Asynchronous Courses:
In these courses at least 80% of the class activities will take place online. Students participate in the class, via the Internet, from anywhere and at their own time. Students will be expected to complete assignments at a computer and participate in online discussions.Courses with an Online Component or Hybrid Courses:
In these courses at least 50% of the class activities will take place online. Students participate in the class, via the Internet, from anywhere and at their own time. Students will be expected to complete assignments at a computer and participate in online discussions.
What You Need
Students interested in these courses will nee:
- Access to the Internet at home, at the college, at work, or at a local library;
- Some familiarity navigating the Internet;
- An active Hostos e-mail address;
- The willingness to participate in online discussions; and
- The motivation to work independently.
Students Interested in an Online Course Should:
- Visit Student Responsibilities for Online Learning to find out more about your responsibilities. You will be expected to work just as much as you do in a traditional face to face class, but you will have to show a high degree of self direction.
- Send an e-mail message to the instructor of the class introducing yourself. Your instructor might want you to take some extra technology or library workshops.
- Visit the Hostos Blackboard Tutorial to learn how to access the online classes and to become familiar with the Blackboard environment.
- Register for a workshop on the college’s Blackboard environment. These workshops will begin two weeks before classes start. The workshop schedule is posted at: www.hostos.cuny.edu/oaa/StudentsWorkshops.asp.
- Students who are already registered in the CUNY Portal, and know their username and password, may log-in directly to Blackboard using: https://blackboard-doorway.cuny.edu/Doorway
- Students who are already registered in the CUNY Portal, and DO NOT know their username or password, should get in touch with the HELP DESK - Room C595, 718-518-6622
- Students who have never registered in the CUNY Portal, must do so by visiting www.cuny.edu. (Visiting the Hostos Blackboard Tutorial website first is highly recommended.)