The online courses offered at Hostos Community College are designed for students who are interested in registering for courses that provide an active and effective learning environment as well as the flexibility of participating either entirely or partially outside the traditional classroom by way of the Internet, online.Fully Online or Asynchronous Courses:
In these courses at least 80% of the class activities will take place online. Students participate in the class, via the Internet, from anywhere and at their own time. Students will be expected to complete assignments at a computer and participate in online discussions.Courses with an Online Component or Hybrid Courses:
In these courses at least 50% of the class activities will take place online. Students participate in the class, via the Internet, from anywhere and at their own time. Students will be expected to complete assignments at a computer and participate in online discussions.Web-Enhanced Courses:
In these courses the instruction is conducted in the traditional face-to-face mode with an added web component to enhance the students learning experience.
Students interested in these courses will need:
- Access to the Internet at home, at the college, at work, or at a local library.
- Some familiarity navigating the Internet.
- An active e-mail address.
- The willingness to participate in online discussion.
- The motivation to work independently.
Students Interested in an Online Course Should:
- Visit Student Responsibilities for Online Learning to find out more about student responsibilities when taking online courses.
- Visit the Hostos Blackboard Tutorial to learn how to access the online classes and to become familiar with the Blackboard environment.
- Consider attending any of the workshops that are designed to facilitate access to online classes and familiarize students with the Blackboard environment. These workshops will begin two weeks before classes start. The workshop schedule is posted at: www.hostos.cuny.edu/oaa/StudentsWorkshops.asp.
- Send an e-mail message to the instructor of the class informing him/her of their interest in registering for his/her online class.
- Students who are already registered in the CUNY Portal, and know their username and password, may log-in directly to Blackboard using: https://blackboard-doorway.cuny.edu/Doorway
- Students who are already registered in the CUNY Portal, and DO NOT know their username or password, should get in touch with the HELP DESK - Room C595, 718-518-6622
- Students who have never registered in the CUNY Portal, must do so by visiting www.cuny.edu. (Visiting the Hostos Blackboard Tutorial website first is highly recommended.)