Academic Standards and Appeal Process
What is an Academic Dismissal Appeal?
As per college policies, a student’s academic progress is determined upon the following criteria:
Students who fail to achieve the required academic standards will be placed on probation for one semester. Students on probation who fail to achieve the required standards for the following semester once again will be a candidate for dismissal unless an appeal is submitted and approved by the Academic Standards Committee.
The Academic Standards Committee will consider each case individually and approve or deny the appeal. An appeal provides an opportunity for a student to demonstrate that their failure to achieve the required G.P.A was due to unusual circumstances such as medical reasons. Included in the appeal are documents that substantiate the student’s statement and reasons for their poor academic performance.
Reinstatement for Students Subject to Dismissal:
Students who have been academically dismissed and are seeking reinstatement from a leave of absence must first schedule an appointment with an appeal representative for a mandatory orientation session. Upon completion of the orientation session, a student may submit an appeal to the Office of Student Life.
What is the process?
- You must submit your appeal to the Office of Student Life via email at AcademicAppeals@hostos.cuny.edu as an attachment or via fax at (718) 518 – 6707.
- You will receive an email confirmation within 24 to 48 hours confirming receipt of your appeal via email. If you do not receive an email confirmation within 24 to 48 hours, please call the Office of Student Life at (718) 518-6557.
- The Committee reviews your case and determines if you will benefit from the approval of an appeal.
- If the appeal is granted, you will be given a new registration date and time.
Please note: If the appeal is granted, you will be allowed to register under certain conditions, which will include a credit limit.
Where and When can an appeal be submitted?
The Office of Student Life will collect appeals for re-admission via email at AcademicAppeals@hostos.cuny.edu as an attachment or via fax at
(718) 518-6707. If you have any questions, the Office of Student Life may also be reached at (718) 518-6557.
What documents must I submit with my appeal? (2 letters – See Below)
- Written Personal Statement – Letter explaining unusual circumstances for poor academic performance.
- Written Academic Plan – A) A plan of action for improving academic performance. B)Will you seek counseling, tutoring, etc. C) How has your situation improved? D)If graduating, how many credits left? E) Which courses would you wish to register for the following semester?
- Any documents that will support the appeal. (ex. medical documents, court papers, etc.)
Please note: All appeals letters must be written in English (Preferably Typed) addressed to the Academic Standards Committee.
SAMPLE SET-UP LETTER
LAST FOUR DIGITS OF YOUR ID #
HOME TELEPHONE# CELL PHONE#
TO: Academic Standards Committee
EXPLAIN UNUSUAL CIRCUMSTANCES
[ Return to top ]
Back to Previous Page