Hostos Community College logo

Student Development & Enrollment Management
Academic Achievement
Accessibility Resource Center
Athletics & Recreation
Career Services
Children’s Center
College Discovery
Counseling Services
Financial Aid
Health and Wellness
Single Stop
Student Activities
Student Leadership Academy
Student Life
Student Success Coaching Unit (SSCU)
Transfer Services
Veterans and Reservists

Student Life
Title IV Appeals


Federal Satisfactory Progress Standard

The regulations for satisfactory progress require colleges to develop, publish, and apply a consistent and reasonable standard of academic progress. Colleges are required to review every student's academic progress for the purpose of determining future Title IV eligibility at the end of each academic year. The review must include all semesters with attendance including any summer and intercessions whether or not Title IV assistance was received.

The standard must include both a qualitative and quantitative measure of progress including a maximum time-frame of no more than 150 percent of an academic program's published length in which the student is expected to finish the program.

Federal satisfactory progress regulations have always required colleges to apply a qualitative measure (minimum grade point average [GPA]) against a norm. Students are required to maintain satisfactory academic progress toward the completion of a degree to receive Federal Student Aid (Title VI). In addition, the student must achieve the GPA required for probationary status at the institution.

After two years of enrollment at the college, students must have earned at least a "C" average, its equivalent, or academic standing consistent with the requirements for graduation.

The City University of New York's Board of Trustee Policy for good academic standing requires that students maintain a sliding cumulative grade point average based on the number of cumulative credits attempted* as follows:

# of cumulative credits attempted Cumulative grade point average
0 - 12 1.5
13 - 24 1.75
25 - upward 2.0

To quantify academic progress, a college must set a maximum time-frame of no more than 150 percent of an academic program's published length as the maximum time-frame in which the student is expected to finish the program. To ensure that a student is making quantitative progress throughout the course of study, the college must also establish a minimum percentage of credits a student must successfully complete each academic year. Remedial course-work is not considered in the calculation of quantitative satisfactory academic process for Title IV purposes.

Students must accumulate credits toward the degree according to the following standards:

  1. 150% CAP
    Students are required to complete their course-work in no more than 150 percent of an academic program's published length. The following formula may be used:

    [(Academic program's published length in credits) x 1.5 = ___]
    See example below for an associate degree program of 64 credits.

  2. Regular Standard
    If a student has attempted fewer than 150% of the total program credits, his or her accumulated (or earned) credits must be equal to or greater than two-thirds of the cumulative credits attempted at the college.

  3. Conditional Standard
    If the standard in the above paragraph is not met, eligibility may be retained by meeting the following conditional standard:

    For associate degree programs, the accumulated credits must be equal to or greater than [(.875 of credits attempted) - 21].

Title IV Satisfactory Progress Quantitative Measure

AA Degree (60 credit degree x (1.5) = 90)

Credit Accumulation
Required Cumulative Credits
Conditional Standard

Students will be measured against the above standards at the end of each academic year. Those who fall below the standards may appeal through the normal institutional academic appeal process to regain eligibility.

*Attempted credits are reflected on the student's file. Accumulated credits are credits that the student has earned toward the completion of the degree program. "W's" (WA, WF, and WU), "F's", "R's", "I's", transfer credits, and repeated courses reported on a student's grade transcript are counted as attempted credits. Second degree students shall have their status initialized for Federal Student Aid (Title IV) by using the number of credits accepted toward the second degree as cumulative attempted credits and cumulative earned credits.

The Hostos Financial Aid Office will decertify students that are non-compliant.  Students wishing to seek reinstatement of their eligibility can submit a written appeal to the Office of Student Life. Kindly note the guidelines below.

What is a Federal Academic Appeal?

A Federal Academic Appeal is an option available to students who fail to maintain academic progress for federal student aid.  An appeal provides an opportunity for a student to demonstrate that their failure to achieve the required G.P.A and/or credits was due to unusual circumstances such as medical reasons, etc.  Included in the appeal are documents that substantiate the student’s statements and reasons for their poor academic performance.

What is the process?

  1. Student prepares appeal and submits the appropriate documents to the office in charge of the particular appeal.
  2. The intake office receives the appeal during the indicated dates for completeness and submits it to the Appeal Committee.
  3. The Committee reviews the appellant’s case and determines if the student will benefit from the approval of an appeal.
  4. The Committee sends its decision to the Office of Financial Aid and to the student.

How long will it take?

Minimum of two weeks.

Where and when can an appeal be submitted?

TA & TB – The Office of Student Life (Student Inquiry Unit) will review appeals. Appeals can be submitted via email at For further information, you may call (718) 518 – 6557.

What documents must I submit with my appeal?

  1. Personal statement – Letter explaining unusual circumstances
  2. Academic plan – A plan of action for improving academic performance
  3. Student Transcript
  4. Medical Documents (if applicable)
  5. Any other document that will support the appeal
  6. Title IV ineligible notification letter sent from the Financial Aid Office.

[ Return to top ]

Back to Previous Page