State Aid: NYS Regents Awards for Children of Deceased and Disabled Veterans

NYS Regents Awards for Children of Deceased and Disabled Veterans will grant $450 to eligible students whose parent(s) served during specific periods of time and died or suffered 40% or more disability, or are classified as missing in action or prisoner of war. Parent(s) must be current NYS residents or have been NYS resident(s) at the time of death/classified status. The FAFSA, TAP application and NYS Children of Veterans Award Web Supplement is required. Students born with spina bifida whose parent(s) is a Vietnam veteran are also eligible and should contact HESC for detailed application instructions. Students should also request a Scholarship and Grant Payment Application to request payment.

Applying for Payment?

Complete the Children of Veterans Award Web Supplement. Be sure to print the Web Supplement Confirmation, sign and return it along with the required documentation according to the instructions.

Once you have established your eligibility you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and apply for the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP), or call HESC at 1-888-697-4372 to request a Scholarship & Grant Payment Application by May 1 of each academic year you seek payment.

FAFSA and TAP applications are available online at (See Applying for Financial Aid).

Apply before May 1 of the academic year for which you are requesting payment.

For more information, visit: (then go to “Military Corner”).