State Aid: New York State Veterans Tuition Award (VTA)

New York State Veterans Tuition Award (VTA) awards aid to the eligible veterans matriculated in an undergraduate program or an approved vocational training program within NYS. Eligible veterans for this program are NYS residents honorably discharged from the U.S. Armed Forces who have served in:

  1. Vietnam/Indochina between 2/28/61-5/7/75
  2.  Persian Gulf on or after 8/2/90
  3. Afghanistan during or after 9/11/01
  4. Vets who served in hostilities after 2/28/61 and received an Armed Forces, Navy or Marine Corps Expeditionary Medal

Eligible residents receive up to 98% of the cost of undergraduate tuition. CUNY part-time students receive awards that are prorated by credit hour. If a student receives TAP and it exceeds tuition, TAP will be reduced accordingly.

Students have to apply yearly for payment by completing the FAFSA, TAP and NYS Veterans Tuition Award Supplement.

Students must:

  • Establish eligibility by applying to HESC.
  • Be New York State residents.
  • Be US Citizens or eligible noncitizens.
  • Be matriculated full or part- time at an undergraduate or graduate degree-granting institution in New York State or in an approved vocational training program in New York State.
  • Have applied for the Tuition Assistance Program for all undergraduate or graduate study.
  • Have graduated from high school in the United States, earned a GED, or passed a federally approved "Ability to Benefit" test as defined by the Commissioner of the State Education Department
  • Be in good academic standing
  • Have at least a cumulative "C" average after receipt of two annual payments
  • Be charged at least $200 tuition per year
  • Not be in default on a student loan guaranteed by HESC or on any repayment of state awards

How to Establish Eligibility

Complete the New York State Veterans Tuition Award Supplement or contact HESC. Be sure to print the Web Supplement Confirmation, sign and return it along with the required documentation according to the instructions.

Questions regarding eligible service or how to document service should be directed to the HESC Scholarship Unit at 1-888-697-4372.


How to Apply for Payment

Once you have established your eligibility, you must apply for payment. While you need only establish your eligibility once, you must apply for payment each year.

Apply for payment as follows:
  • Undergraduate and Graduate Full-time & Part-time Study - Apply for payment by doing one of the following:
    1. Apply online by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) — the form used by most colleges, universities and vocational schools for awarding federal student aid and most state and college aid — and then linking to the TAP on the Web application, or
    2. For veterans who do not anticipate filing a FAFSA, complete a Scholarship Grant Payment Application. For a copy of the application call HESC at 1-888-697-4372.
  • Vocational Training Program - Complete only the Veterans Tuition Award Supplement.

All applications must be completed by May 1 of the academic year for which an award is sought.

For more information, visit: (then go to “Military Corner”).