Frequently Asked Questions in Continuing Education & Professional Studies

  1. Does the Division of  Continuing Education & Workforce Development Department offer financial aid to its students?

    Answer:  The Department does not offer federal or state financial aid like the College does for students in college-level credit-based programs, but you may qualify for other financial assistance through:

    168-46 91st Avenue 2nd Floor
    Jamaica, New York 11432
    (Cross Street: between 168th and 169th Streets)
    Tel # :( 718)557-6755
    Monday-Friday 8:30am to 6:00pm

    358 East 149th Street, 2nd Floor
    Bronx, New York 10455
    (Cross Street: Between Third Avenue and Courtland Avenue)
    Tel #: (718) 960-7099
    Mondays-Friday 8:30am to 5:00pm

    215 West 125th Street, 6th Floor
    New York, New York 10027
    (Cross Street: Between 7th and 8th Avenue)
    Telephone: (917)493-7000
    Monday- Friday 8:30am to 5:00pm

    • Vocational and Educational Services for Students with Disabilities (VESID) – See www.vesid.nysed.gov

    1215 Zerega Avenue
    Bronx, New York 10462
    Tel #: (718) 931-3500
    Fax #: (718)931-4299

    116 West 32nd Street
    New York, New York 10001

    • Department of Veteran’s Affairs - www.va.gov
    • New York State Educational Incentive Scholarship Program (EIP) – (Applicants https://www.ecetp.pdp.albany.edu/eip.shtm must be registered license child care providers.)
    • Sallie Mae Continuing Education Loans for non-degree and non-college credit students – www.salliemae.com
    • TERI Continuing Education Loans – www.teri.org
    • Many of our courses are eligible for vouchers and reimbursement through employers.  Check with your Human Resource or union representative for funding opportunities.
  2. Does Continuing Education offer job placement?

    Answer: Yes, all students upon completion of any program can schedule an appointment with our dedicated  employment specialist.
  3. Do you provide childcare services?

    Answer:  No
  4. Can I sit in class before I decide to register:

    Answer:  Students not registered in a course may not attend that course.
  5. Can students 18 years of age or younger enroll in a High School Equivalency program?

    Answer:  No, our HSE program is for students 19 years of age or older.
  6. How long is the HSE program?

    Answer:  It is a 3-month program.  Students attend classes 2 to 4 days per week depending on skills needs.
  7. How long does it take to get the diploma once I pass the HSE classes?

    Answer:  Once you are enrolled in the HSE class, you will complete the application for the HSE exam.  You are then scheduled for the exam.  After you take the exam, you are notified by the State regarding your status, that is, whether you passed or failed the exam.  If you pass the exam, it takes about 2 months for the State to send you the diploma.
  8. Does Continuing Education help students get into college-level programs once they complete the HSE?

    Answer:  Once the student has a HSE diploma, we assist students in enrolling in Hostos Community College’s college-level programs.
  9. Does Continuing Education offer free classes?

    Answer:   The fee-based component of Continuing Education does not offer free classes.  However, sometimes, we offer free workshops for parents focusing on parent/child relationships.

    Our Adult Learning Center offers free HSE and ESL classes.  There is a waiting list.  In order to register, you must visit the office at 560 Exterior Street, Bronx N.Y.  For more information, you may call 718-518-6723/6840.
  10. Does Continuing Education accept payment plans?

    Answer:  Yes, as long as the class is paid for in full by the time the class begins.
  11. Does Continuing Education offer courses for college credit?

    Answer:  No.
  12. In order to enroll in a certificate programs in Continuing Education, do I need a high school diploma?

    Answer:  Some programs require a HSE while others do not.  Please call the Continuing Education office at 718-518-6656 regarding a specific program.
  13. Can Continuing Education certificate programs be used towards a college degree?

    Answer:   No.
  14. Can college courses be applied to completion of certificate programs?

    Answer:  No.
  15. Does Continuing Education have parking available?

    Answer:   No.   However, there is parking available for a fee in the Bronx Terminal Market located next door from our location. Street parking and meter parking is an additional option.