Federal Programs

General Eligibility Requirements
Federal Pell Grant (PELL)
Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG)
Federal Work-Study (FWS)
Federal Direct Loan (FDL)
Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grants

General Eligibility Requirements

To receive Federal Student Aid, you must:

  • Have a valid Social Security number (with the exception of students from the Republic of the Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, or the Republic of Palau).
  • Be a U.S. citizen or an Eligible Non-Citizen.
  • Have a high school diploma, a GED, or have been home-schooled.
  • Be registered with Selective Service (Males between the ages of 18 and 25).
  • Be matriculated or accepted for enrollment as a regular student in an eligible degree or certificate program.
  • Certify by signing a FAFSA that any federal student aid funds awarded to you will be used solely for educational purposes.
  • Certify by signing a FAFSA that you are not in default of any federal student loan and that you do not owe a repayment of any federal student aid grant.
  • Not have been convicted under federal or state law of the sale or possession of illegal drugs while you were a student receiving federal student aid.
  • Demonstrate financial need.
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) in college or career school.


Federal Pell Grant (Pell)

A Federal Pell Grant unlike a loan, does not have to be repaid. Federal Pell Grants usually are awarded only to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor's or a professional degree. You are not eligible to receive a Federal Pell Grant if you are incarcerated in a federal or state penal institution or are subject to an involuntary civil commitment upon completion of a period of incarceration for a forcible or non-forcible sexual offense.

The Pell Grant can be used to pay your tuition, or, if your tuition is covered by other means, help you buy your books and supplies, or pay your transportation costs.

Click here for full PELL details.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG)

A FSEOG is an award given to undergraduate students who show exceptional financial need.  FSEOG is available only to students who meet the following criteria

  • Have not obtained a first bachelor's degree or professional certificate.
  • Eligible Federal Pell Grant recipient
    • Have not exhausted your 12 semester life-time eligibility limit
    • Have an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) between 0-500
  • Must be registered for a minimum of six units (Half-Time)

The FSEOG program is administered directly by the Office of Financial Aid at each participating school and is therefore called “campus-based” aid.

CUNY receives a fixed amount of funds each academic year to package FSEOG awards. To increase your chances to receive a FSEOG, please file your FAFSA as early as possible. These funds are limited and are packaged on first-come, first-served basis. In recent years, FSEOG awards have ranged from $100 to $300 per semester.
How will I know if I have been awarded FSEOG?
If you are awarded FSEOG, the award will be posted to your Financial Aid Award Summary page in CUNYfirst. To view this page, login to your Student Center in CUNYfirst, and click on "View Financial Aid." After the college packages you with your financial aid awards, you will also receive an e-mail award letter that will indicate whether or not you have been awarded FSEOG.

Click here for full FSEOG details. 

Federal Work-Study

The Federal Work Study (FWS) Program is a need based federally funded program that offer students an opportunity to gain valuable work experience that will enhance their job skills. In order to participate in the FWS program, students must (1) receive a FWS award as part of their financial aid package; (2) be enrolled at least half time (6 units/credits) or have been accepted for such enrollment; and (3) maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress.
FWS employment may be offered to student employees in several ways: on campus, off campus, and/or through Public Service Corp (PSC). Federal guidelines prohibit students from working during scheduled class hours. Work hours must be arranged in a way that it does not conflict with class hours. Typical jobs include clerical work; providing overall assistance to departments such as the Library, Computer Labs, tutoring and child care center.

*To apply for a Federal Work Study award, students must fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and answer “yes” to question 31, “Are you interested in being considered for work study?”

What you must do prior to be assigned to a job?
A Federal Work Study (FWS) award represents the maximum amount of earning that students are allowed to receive in an Academic Year.

What you must do prior to being assigned to a job?
Students who receive a FWS award must also accept it by following the steps below:

  • Log on to CUNYfirst (www.hostos.cuny.edu/first)
  • Select "Student Center"
  • Under the "Finances" section search for the "Financial Aid" heading and select "Accept/Decline Awards"
  • Select Aid Year "2019" for Fall 2018 and Spring 2019 or "2020" for Fall 2019 and Spring 2020
  • On the Award Package page click on the ACCEPT or DECLINEbox for Federal Work Study FALL/SPRING
  • Select "Submit" to confirm
Please Note:
  • Students who decline their FWS award may request the Office of Financial Aid to have it reinstated; however, it will depend on the availability of funds.
  • FWS funds are never distributed in a lump sum, nor can be paid for hours not actually worked.
  • FWS awards are made for, and must be earned in, a specific time period within the Academic Year (Summer/Fall/Spring). Any unearned amount is forfeited and cannot be carried over to the subsequent Aid Year.
FWS Payroll Calendar
Federal Work Study Payroll
The FWS payroll takes place in the Office of Financial Aid on a biweekly basis. Timesheets are submitted every two weeks on the Monday following the end date Pay Period, for the prior fourteen days worked. Students will be provided with a FWS Payroll Calendar for the academic year at the time of hire. Payroll is a deadline driven process. The FWS Payroll Calendar includes important dates such as the Pay Period (begin and end date), Timesheet Deadline and Pay Day.  Amount of earning may vary depending on the pay rate and amount of hours worked in a pay period.
  1. As of December 31, 2017 New York State’s Minimum Wage has been increased to $13.00.
  2. Hostos Community College currently pays $13.00 per hour to students participating in the FWS program. 
  3. ​As of December 31, 2018 New York State's Minimum Wage will increase to $15.00.
Federal Work Study Payment Options
FWS checks will be mailed to the student’s address on record (Campus Community). However, student employees may opt to receive their “paycheck” via Direct Deposit.

Access to Paystubs, Compensation History and W2 form
Students may have access to their Paystubs, Compensation History and W2 forms via CUNYfirst:
  • Log on to CUNYfirst (www.hostos.cuny.edu/first)
  • Select "HR/Campus Solutions"
  • Select "Self Service"
  • Select "Payroll and Compensation"
    • Select your choice from the sub-menu: "View Paycheck"

Federal Work Study Announcement
Fall graduation candidates and/or students not attending or enrolling at Hostos Community College at least half time (six units/credits) in the upcoming Spring semester must stop working the last day of the Fall Semester.

Click here for full FWS details. 

Federal Direct Loans

Federal Direct Loans Program

A potential borrower ­MUST first file and receive a response from a FAFSA. Once the FAFSA is finalized, an applicant can apply for a William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan through the Office of FInancial Aid by completing a Loan Origination Request Form. A counseling session and the completion of a Direct Loan Entrance Counseling are required for First-time borrowers.  It is also highly recommended for continuing student to complete a Financial Awareness Counseling. In addition, once the loan is approved, a promissory note MUST be signed by the borrower in order to have the loan disbursed.

To be eligible for a Federal Direct Loan, a student must be:

  • A U.S. Citizen or Eligible Non-Citizen (click here for list of Eligible Non-Citizen)
  • MUST be matriculated and registered for a minimum of 6 undergraduate credits for the semester(s) that you are applying for. (SUMMER / FALL / SPRING)
  • Have at least a 2.0 cumulative G.P.A., unless it is your first semester at the college. Students who have a GPA below 2.0 will be reviewed on a case by case basis by the counselor

You must meet all eligibility requirements for Federal Financial Aid. In addition, you must demonstrate financial need for the loan. Financial need is demonstrated when your EFC, plus the loan amount, plus any other financial aid you are receiving adds up to less than your cost of enrollment.

Direct Loan Entrance / Financial Awareness Counseling
The Direct Loan Entrance / Financial Awareness Counseling can be completed on the internet at www.StudentLoans.gov.
A Student Loan Ombudsman Office is available for assistance with loan problems at 1-877-557-2575.

Click here for full FDL details.

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grants

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grants

If your parent or guardian died as a result of military service in Iraq or Afghanistan, you may be eligible for an Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant.

Like other federal grants, Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grants provide money to college or career school students to help pay their education expenses. However, Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grants have special eligibility criteria.

Who can get an Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant?

You may be eligible to receive the Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant if:

  • You are not eligible for a Federal Pell Grant on the basis of your Expected Family Contribution but
  • Meet the remaining Federal Pell Grant eligibility requirements, and
  • Your parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. armed forces and died as a result of military service performed in Iraq or Afghanistan after the events of 9/11, and
  • You were under 24 years old or enrolled in college at least part-time at the time of your parent’s or guardian’s death.

Click here for full service grant details.